This is an extension of the simple SEO article I posted last week and really you should do all of that work before you start this. Once again this is very simple for the novice to do, you do not need any progrmaming skills and you certainly do not ned to pay anyone to do it for you. Remember SEO is a scam isn’t it!? Well no it isn’t if you follow these really simple rules – If you do you will find your site increases its visibility.
Tell Google about your site
- Google is pretty good at picking up news sites and you will find that your site will be listed pretty much whetever you do, but in order to give your site a helping hand go to Google .co.uk and set up a Google account if you havn’t already got one. Its really simple to do and will give you a whole host of tools that you will need to get your site notices.
- When you have registed your account go to Webmaster Tools and click ‘Add Site’ – specify your site’s URL and you will see that the site is added to the list below.
- Then Verify your site – this is Google way of verifying that you actually own the sit ethat you have added to this account. Google gives you four ways to verify. I always use ‘Uplaod an HTML file to your server – you simply download a small file to your FTP (File Transfer Protocol – If you haven’t got one use WinSCP), program and transfer it over to your root folder – Click ‘Verify’ and Google will activate the website in Webmaster Tools.
- It will then take about two weeks for Google to index your site and to start capturing data.
Install Google Analytics
- Go to you Google account and sign up for Analytics – this is a full program of analytical software which will give you all sorts of information about your website including visitor number, content viewed and tons of other tools that will give you a massive insight in to how your site looks and performs on the web.
- It is fairly easy to use the basics – Add the URL of your site and then put the tracking code just before the body tag at the bottom of your site. Don’t put it in the header or near the top, you want people counted who have looked at all your page not just the ones who got to the top then clicked off. You will need access to the source code of your site to do this – but make sure that this tracking code is ON EVERY PAGE!
more later :O)